What you need to know
- We're now one day away from the release of 1.17 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One for Minecraft, which adds lots of new mobs and blocks.
- In the final hours leading up to the release, Mojang Studios has launched the Release Candidate 2 snapshot for Minecraft: Java Edition.
- This snapshot fixes a handful of critical issues discovered within the initial Release Candidate.
- If all goes well today and tomorrow, this snapshot will end up being the 1.17 'Caves and Cliffs Update' released tomorrow.
Tomorrow is June 8, and marks a momentous occasion for Minecraft fans everywhere. Part One of the massive Caves and Cliffs Update, which adds three fantastic new mobs and up to 91 exciting new blocks and items, officially releases on all platforms on June 8. Players worldwide are eagerly waiting for the arrival of the 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One, and Mojang Studios is still hard at work, ensuring it's as polished and excellent as possible.
To this end, Mojang Studios is releasing Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Release Candidate 2, which follows Release Candidate 1 with a few more critical fixes. Mojang had hoped the first Release Candidate would be the one, but a handful of additional issues were found and fixed with this new potential Caves and Cliffs Update candidate. If everything goes well over the next few hours and into tomorrow, the update that players everywhere will receive for Minecraft: Java Edition will be this snapshot.
If you're like many other Minecraft players out there, and you're excited about the 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One arriving tomorrow, take a look at our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts, which includes something awesome for any Minecraft fan.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One Release Candidate 2 includes:
Caves and Cliffs Update preview
- Download the new datapack
- Fixed a few critical issues